To Our Valued Guests,
As the coronavirus continues to impact the world, it is important for us to show you the steps we are taking to help keep our guests and staff members safe.
At Somerville House, we have always had extremely high cleaning standards. We have implemented some additional measures in the face of COVID-19 to ensure you feel safe and secure when staying with us. All our cleaning and sanitation procedures comply with Public Health England and UK Hospitality. We are confident that these extra steps and precautions make us a safer place to stay.
The changes cover all aspects of our operations, including guest check in/check out, breakfast service, guest bedrooms, communal areas, and housekeeping services. Our comprehensive risk assessment supplements our already rigorous processes. Our goal is to ensure the utmost in cleanliness and hygiene every day.
Social distancing will be in place around Somerville House; therefore, we do need our guests to respect each other when moving around the building. We have hand gels available on all floors, as well as the reception and dining area. Frequent handwashing for at least 20 seconds using soap and water is important for both guests and our staff.
Initially we will only have 6 rooms with guests at any one time to allow for plenty of space
We are happy for guests to wear face masks in communal areas if you so wish.
Detailed Information About Our Enhanced Procedures
Please read about our enhanced procedures below and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. We are happy for you to email us or telephone us for a reassuring chat before you arrive.
Guest Arrival, Check-In
Our preference is to personally welcome our guests. We also believe that implementing social distancing guidelines is wise in the current climate.
When you arrive, we will keep a safe distance of 2m when we greet you. We can remotely open the front door and we ask that you wait in reception where it is clearly signposted.
There is plenty of room in Somerville House for everyone to socially distance if we show respect for each other on the staircases and hallway.
If you prefer a self-check-in, we will leave you an envelope with your sanitised key and instruction on the reception desk. Any information you may need for your stay will be in your room upon arrival.
Sheila & Steve live on-site. This is our home. If we do not see you when you check-in, we will most certainly greet you shortly afterwards. We are your hosts while you are at Somerville House and will be happy to answer any questions you might have. We will always maintain an appropriate social distance from you. There is a bell on reception which will alert us if you require anything during your stay.
We can send you a secure link via email to pay for your stay. We just need your email address. If you prefer to pay using your chip and pin card that is also fine. The card reader is also sanitised after each use.
Breakfast has always been popular at Somerville House. We will continue to offer the fresh made-to-order breakfasts prepared with local ingredients customised to your dietary needs.
To ensure breakfast runs smoothly we do offer a choice of either grab and go, room service or using our dining area if numbers allow.
We do now need breakfast times so we can have a socially distanced table ready for you. If you are staying with us for more than one night, we do try our best to keep the same table for you. Breakfast in the garden is permitted if the weather allows.
- All food and beverage will be served to your table, we no longer have any buffet service
- Steve does the cooking, all freshly prepared local ingredients. Gloves are worn during the preparation of your breakfast.
- Hand washing is continuous and rigorous in our kitchen.
- You can rest assured that all plates, glassware, and cutlery will have been washed in our commercial dishwasher at high temperature to sanitize.
- All Surfaces are cleaned and disinfected with approved solutions.
- We have a 5-star rating from the food standards agency, so our food service and preparation is already of extremely high quality and safe.
There are many terrific restaurants in Hereford, mainly within about a 15-minute drive from Somerville House. We are happy to help you get a table reservation.
There is always an option of having a takeaway meal here at Somerville House. We can recommend great take-out places locally. We can supply you with utensils, plates and glassware.
We also have many supermarkets where you may prefer to purchase foods yourself. A microwave is also available, and each room has a small fridge.
We are happy for you to eat in our dining area or outside if weather permits.
Guest Rooms and Housekeeping Service
All our Housekeeping staff have completed Infection control and prevention and have undertaken extra Coronavirus updating. They are also practicing social distancing whilst they work. Staff have PPE including facemasks to use whilst undertaking cleaning tasks that are high risk.
Our daily housekeeping service has been suspended for the time being. If you are staying for 3 nights or longer, we can discuss what housekeeping you may require.
If you require fresh towels anytime during your stay, a laundry bag can be found in your bathroom. Simply place dirty towels in the bag and place it outside your room when you leave for the day to request fresh towels. Clean towels will be delivered to your room while you are out. When you check out, simply leave the dirty towels in your shower/tub.
When a guest checks out:
- The room is left to rest for 24 hours before our staff enter to clean the room.
- The entire room is stripped of all linens. Linens are sent to a professional laundry where they are washed at hot temperatures.
- All hard surfaces including frequent touch areas like door handles, light switches, drawer handles, window catches, fans, and TV remote controls are cleaned and sanitised with a product which is effective to kill coronavirus.
- All soft surfaces such as curtains, chairs, headboards, and the occasional cushion will be sprayed with a fabric sanitizing spray.
- Our ensuites bathrooms are also fully sanitised and all soap/body lotion containers are cleaned between guests.